Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday, gave permission to actress Kangana Ranaut to add Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut in her plea against Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation upon the demolition of a part of her office.
The bench was led by Justices SJ Kathawalla and RI Chagla also allowed Kangana to add BMC H-ward’s designated officer Bhagyavant Late as a party to respond upon any personal accusations made by her.
Kangana filed a petition in the High Court on September 9, seeking the court to declare the demolition of a part of her bungalow located at Pali Hill area in Mumbai as illegal.
Afterwards, she amended her plea and demanded Rs 2 crore for the damages from the civic body and officials for the illegal demolition.
During the hearing of her plea on Tuesday, it was noted by the High Court that Kangana’s counsel, senior advocate Birendra Saraf submitted a DVD which contained the speech by Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut allegedly commenting and threatening the actress.
Justice Kathawalla highlighted that if Kangana will be relying on the DVD for her petition then Sanjay Raut will also be given a chance to respond to the allegations.
“What if he (Sanjay Raut) says that he has not made these statements or that this DVD is fabricated? You have to give him an opportunity to respond,” the bench said.
After the illegal demolition by BMC, Kangna filed a rejoinder affidavit in High Court on Monday stating that she didn’t make any structural changes or repairs against the law.
She also denied the allegations by BMC that her demand for the demolition to be declared illegal and she has to be paid Rs 2 crore by the civic body was an abuse of the process of law.
The actress also alleged that BMC took this step out of personal dispute against her after she made some comments against the Shiv Sena led government in Maharashtra.
She pointed out in her rejoinder affidavit that she had been served notice by the BMC on the alleged illegal constructions at her bungalow. Though, several other property owners in the neighbourhood of her office including fashion designer Manish Malhotra were also served similar notices.
She said that Manish Malhotra and others were given seven days to respond while she was given just 24 hours.
He stated in her rejoinder affidavit, “I deny that I have carried out unlawful additions and alterations as alleged or at all,” as quoted by NDTV.
The civic body has pleaded to the High Court to dismiss the plea by Kangana and impose a cost on her for filing the petition.
The High Court is likely to hear the case on Wednesday.