New Delhi: There will be no Class XII Board exams this year. The decision has been taken in the interest of the students, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said after he held a crucial meeting on Tuesday evening.
“COVID-19 has affected the academic calendar and the issue of Board Exams has been causing immense anxiety among students, parents and teachers, which must be put to an end,” the prime minister was quoted as saying after the meeting by a PIB release.
The CISCE also called off its class XII exams following the high-profile meeting chaired by the prime minister.
The chief executive of the CISCE, Gerry Arathoon told The Indian Express that the Class XII students will now be evaluated through an alternative scheme. “The details of that will be worked out soon and will be available to you,” he said.
Prime Minister Modi stressed that the health and safety of our students is of utmost importance and there would be no compromise on this aspect. He said that in today’s time, such exams cannot be the reason to put our youth at risk, the release stated.
The PM said that all stakeholders need to show sensitivity towards students. PM Modi directed officials to ensure that the results are prepared in accordance with well-defined criteria, in a fair and time-bound manner.
It was also decided that like last year, in case some students desire to take the exams, such an option would be available to them by CBSE, as and when the situation becomes conducive.
PM Modi had earlier held a high-level meeting on May 21, which was attended by ministers and officials. Thereafter a meeting under the Chairmanship of Union Defence Minister was held on May 23. It was attended by the Education Minsters of States.
Tuesday’s meeting was attended by Union Ministers of Home, Defence, Finance, Commerce, Information & Broadcasting, Petroleum and Women & Child Development Ministries and Principal Secretary to PM, Cabinet Secretary & Secretaries of School Education & Higher Education Departments & other officials, the release said.