New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday trashed the sedition case against senior journalist Vinod Dua, reported news agency ANI.
The top court quashed an FIR registered by Himachal Pradesh Police against the senior in connection with his comments critical of the government’s handling of COVID-19 lockdown on his YouTube channel a year ago.
A bench comprising Justices UU Lalit and Vineet Saran said the court has quashed the proceedings and FIR, as it stressed that every journalist should be protected as per judgment in the matter, Kedar Nath Singh Versus State of Bihar (1962), according to an IANS report.
While upholding the validity of Section 124A of IPC (sedition), a Constitution Bench of the top court had in Kedarnath Singh’s case (1962) restricted the scope of the law by prescribing certain safeguards.
“A citizen has a right to say whatever he likes about the government or its policies but should not incite violence,” the court had then said.
The apex court had protected Dua from arrest on his plea to quash the May 6 FIR on June 14, last year. BJP leader Ajay Shyam file the complaint against Dua accusing him of instigating violence against the government by allegedly spreading fake news.