Aden, Yemen: A large explosion struck at the airport in Aden, Yemen on 30th December Wednesday. At least 25 people were killed and 110 were wounded in the blast. It is stated by Yemen’s government that Iran supported Houthi rebels, who fired four ballistic missiles at the Airport.
It was later reported that there was another explosion recorded close to a palace in the city where the Cabinet members were sent after the airport attack. According to the Saudi, Al-Arabiya television channel, a bomb-laden drone was attempted to attack the palace.
A clip from Associated Press showed how the members of the government officials were frightened and started leaving as the blast jiggled the ground. Some ministers rushed back inside the plane and some ran down the stairs, asking for help. From the nearby terminal building, thick smoke was seen and bodies were lying on the roadway and elsewhere at the airport.
Associated Press reported that minister Naguib al-Awg, who was on the plane and heard two explosions, proposed they were drone attacks. Prime Minister, Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed and the other officials were quickly whisked away from the airport to the Mahiq Palace and the area around the palace was sealed off by the Military and security forces.
Prime Minister Saeed tweeted that he and his officials were unharmed and safe. He called the explosions a ‘cowardly terrorist act’ that was part of the war on ‘the Yemeni state and our great people.’
The International Committee of the Red Cross stated that three of its workers were killed in the blast. Two Yemeni nationals, a Rwandan and three other workers were also wounded.
Yemeni television said its reporter Adeeb al-Ganabi was also killed. Information Minister Moammer al-Iryani stated 10 other journalists were also wounded in the airport blast.
A statement from Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said, “Secretary-General condemns the deplorable attack on Aden airport shortly after the arrival of the newly formed Yemeni cabinet, which killed and wounded dozens of people.”
US Ambassador in Yemen, Christopher Henzel said the US condemned the attacks in Aden. “We stand with the Yemeni people as they strive for peace, and we support the new Yemeni Government as it works towards a better future for all Yemenis,” he said.
Jordan, Egypt and other Arab and Western nations also condemned the airport attack.
The Saudi ambassador to Yemen, Mohammed al-Jaber, expressed his sadness and described the attack as a “cowardly terrorist act targeting the Yemeni people, their security and stability.”
Despite “the disappointment and confusion caused by those who create death and destruction,” the peace agreement between the government and southern separatists “will go forward”, he added.
Last year, the Houthi attacked a military base in Aden killing dozens of people. In 2015, then Yemini Prime Minister Khaled Bahah and the other government officials survived a missile attack, which was also blamed on the Houthis.
Yemen has been engulfed in civil war since 2014 and has brought about the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.