Barcelona: Argentine footballer Lionel Messi on Friday, confirmed that is staying at Barcelona until the end of the 2020-2021 season.
The 33-year-old ended the intense speculation about his future by saying that he is going to stay with the Spanish club for this season as he did not want to enter into any court battle.
“I wasn’t happy and I wanted to leave. I have not been allowed this in any way and I will stay at the club so as not to get into a legal dispute,” Messi told website Goal.com.
Lionel Messi breaks his silence 😏
Our exclusive 🐐 pic.twitter.com/qLDqVTMwC2
— Goal (@goal) September 4, 2020
“The management of the club led by (president Josep Maria) Bartomeu is a disaster.”
“There was another way and it was to go to trial,” he said. “I would never go to court against Barca because it is the club that I love, which gave me everything since I arrived. It is the club of my life, I have made my life here,” he added.
Last month, the Argentine had told Barcelona that he wanted to leave, asserting a clause in his contract allowed him to do so on a free transfer.
Earlier, Messi’s father and representative Jorge insisted in a letter to the La Liga that 700 million euros release clause in the contract was not valid and the player could leave for free.
The player’s contract with Barcelona ends on June 30, 2021.
By staying at the club for another season, Messi is in line for an $83.4 million loyalty bonus and will also be able to leave without a transfer fee.
The Argentine international is a 10-time Spanish champion and won four UEFA Champions League titles with Barcelona in 2006, 2011 and 2015.