Nashik: Nationalist Congress Party leader Sanjay Shinde was burnt alive in Nashik on Tuesday evening as the car he was travelling in caught fire.
He was travelling on the Mumbai-Agra Highway when the wiring in his car short-circuited near the Pimpalgaon Baswant toll plaza.
Shinde was a well-known grape exporter in Nashik district, which is a leading wine manufacturing hub.
He was on his way to Pimpalgaon to buy pesticides for his orchard and was near the overbridge on River Kadva when the car developed a snag. Due to the short circuit, the car caught fire.
According to the local villagers, the short circuit caused a spark which led to the highly flammable hand sanitiser kept in the car to catch fire.
As the fire raged, the central locking mechanism of the vehicle was activated, leaving the doors jammed.
Shinde tried a lot to get out of his car but all his attempt gone in vain as fire got spread quickly burning him alive inside.
Police sources said the villagers swung into action to save Shinde and immediately called the fire brigade.
The fire brigade doused the flames and it was only later that the deceased was identified as NCP leader Sanjay Shinde.