Monday, December 6, 2021
Home World Only A Few Billions To Save Starved Millions, Urges Nobel Peace Prize...

Only A Few Billions To Save Starved Millions, Urges Nobel Peace Prize Winner

- Advertisement -

Washington: The head of the World Food Program and Nobel Peace Prize 2020 winner, again urged billionaires to donate just a few billion to save millions of lives.

On Friday, David Beasley said that the number of people marching toward starvation has jumped from 135 million to 270 million during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Humanity needs the help right now, he said.

“This is a one-time request. … The world is at a crossroads, and we need from the billionaires to step up in a way they’ve never stepped up before,” he said.

The executive director of the UN food agency told a virtual UN press conference that the global wealth of some 2,200 billionaires rose by about $2 trillion between April and July as the pandemic raged.

He was referring to a study by Swiss bank UBS and accounting firm PwC published last week which said the global wealth of billionaires climbed from $8 trillion at the start of April to $10.2 trillion in July.

“I just need a few billion to save millions of lives and save humanity from one of the greatest catastrophes since World War II,” Beasley said.

Asked for names of some of the billionaires he was targeting, Beasley replied, “I don’t get to hang around with that crowd. I’m hanging around people who are starving to death.”

He said WFP is greatly concerned about 2021 because budgets weren’t calculated to take into account the economic fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said the humanitarian crises in the world are worsening, with Yemen the worst of the worst of the worst, Africas Sahel region undoubtedly one of the worst, Congo just horrific and Syria deteriorating.

He said many other countries are also deteriorating including Nigeria, South Sudan and Ethiopia.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
Stay Connected
16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe
Must Read

India Vs NZ, 2nd Test: India 5 Wickets Away From Victory

Mumbai: India are set to register a memorable win in the second and final Test after they reduced New Zealand to 140 for five...
- Advertisement -

14 Killed In Nagaland After Security Operation Goes Awry

Guwahati: As many as 13 villagers and a soldier lost their lives at an Indo-Myanmar border district in Nagaland after a counter-insurgency move went...

India Tour Of South Africa To Start On December 26

Kolkata: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed that India’s tour of South Africa will start on December 26. This was...

India Vs NZ: Ajaz Patel’s 10-Wicket Haul & Visitors’ Poor Batting Show Mark Eventful 2nd Day

Mumbai: The second day of the second Test between India and New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium here was an eventful one. Kiwi spinner Ajaz...
Related News

India Vs NZ, 2nd Test: India 5 Wickets Away From Victory

Mumbai: India are set to register a memorable win in the second and final Test after they reduced New Zealand to 140 for five...

14 Killed In Nagaland After Security Operation Goes Awry

Guwahati: As many as 13 villagers and a soldier lost their lives at an Indo-Myanmar border district in Nagaland after a counter-insurgency move went...

India Tour Of South Africa To Start On December 26

Kolkata: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed that India’s tour of South Africa will start on December 26. This was...

India Vs NZ: Ajaz Patel’s 10-Wicket Haul & Visitors’ Poor Batting Show Mark Eventful 2nd Day

Mumbai: The second day of the second Test between India and New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium here was an eventful one. Kiwi spinner Ajaz...

Veteran Journalist Vinod Dua Passes Away

New Delhi: Veteran journalist Vinod Dua passed away at the age of 67 on Saturday. Dua was admitted to the intensive care unit of...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here