Hanoi: Vietnam’s central region for over the past two weeks due to floods, landslides and natural calamities claimed the lives of 90 people.
There are also reports of over 34 people missing since then. According to the committee’s latest reports mainly, the fatalities were recorded at the provinces of Quang Tri, Thua Thien Hue and Quang Nam.
By 6 am, according to the local time on Monday, over 37,500 households with 121,280 people in the localities of Ha Tinh, Quang Binh, Quang Tri and Thua Thien Hue had been evacuated to safe areas. The committee also said that around 121,700 houses were still inundated.
Since October 6, over 531,800 cattle and poultry were killed or swept away due to the disaster. The calamities include floods and landslides which lead to the erosion and severe damage in several national highways and local roads, said the committee.
Vietnam News Agency reported that the schools situated in central Nghe An and Ha Tinh provinces have allowed their students to stay home from Monday to ensure safety amidst the dangerous situations of natural disasters.
It is expected that heavy rains will occur in central localities until Wednesday with over 600 mm in some areas, which will generate high risks of flash floods and inundation, the committee’s report said.
During an urgent meeting which was held on Sunday, the committee issued a level-four alert, which is considered as the second-highest level of warning, over the risks of natural disasters in central Vietnam.