New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday (June 26) launched a 125-day campaign to provide employment to migrant workers and others in Uttar Pradesh, who lost their jobs during COVID-19 pandemic, under various central and state government schemes. Modi launched the ‘Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rojgar Abhiyan’ (AUPRA) – a part of the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan which was declared by him on June 20 for 116 districts in six states in the country.
A commendable step towards UP’s progress. https://t.co/AHhhRkBCai
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) June 26, 2020
Modi interacted with villagers from six districts of Uttar Pradesh at the virtual launching of AUPRA on June 26 morning. Villagers across all districts of the state joined the event through Common Service Centres and Krishi Vigyan Kendras.
“England, France, Italy and Spain – these countries at one time had conquered the world and were the biggest powers of the world, but if you add up the populations of all these countries it comes to 24 crore, but in India, UP alone has 24 crore. How effective UP has been can be seen from the fact that the four European nations together had 130,000 deaths due to COVID-19. But in UP, the number of deaths is 600. It shows that UP has been tacking the issue proactively and effectively,” Modi said.
Here’s all about the job scheme in Uttar Pradesh:
- A slogan ‘Rojgar ka naya abhiyan, har shramik ko kaam’ (A new campaign for employment, jobs for all workers) has been given to the Garib Kalyan scheme in Uttar Pradesh that has seen the arrival of over 30 lakh migrant labourers following the recent lockdown in the country.
- The Atmanirbhar UP Rojgar Abhiyan is focused on providing jobs, promoting local entrepreneurship and creating partnerships with industrial associations and other organisations to create employment opportunities.
- Uttar Pradesh’s 31 districts have been covered under the scheme and the state government is likely to use the occasion to showcase the work it has been doing for the welfare of the workers.
- A target of providing work has been given to different departments with a focus on 25 categories of works and 1.25 crore workers or labourers will get work.
- This will include work to be given to 60 lakh workers per day and 10.06 crore man-days will be created under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme.
- The ceremony will also mark distribution of loan of Rs 5,900 crore to 2.40 lakh industrial units and Rs 3,226 crore to 1.11 lakh new industrial units.
- Appointment letters will be also given to 1.25 lakh workers by private construction companies at the programme that will also see the distribution of toolkits to 5,000 workmen under the Vishwakarma Shram Samman Yojana and one-district-one-product scheme.
- UP’s 31 districts covered under the campaign include Siddharthnagar, Prayagraj, Gonda, Maharajganj, Bahraich, Balrampur, Jaunpur, Hardoi, Azamgarh, Basti, Gorakhpur, Sultanpur, Kushinagar, Sant Kabir Nagar, Banda, Ambedkar Nagar, Sitapur, Varanasi, Ghazipur, Pratapgarh, Rae Bareli, Ayodhya, Deoria, Amethi, Lakhimpur Kheri, Unnao, Shravasti, Fatehpur, Mirzapur, Jalaun and Kaushambi.
Interacting with villagers in Uttar Pradesh while launching via video the “Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rozgar Abhiyan,” Modi also showered praise on UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s handling of the virus fight and the crisis of migrants stranded by the lockdown.