Bhavnagar: A woman in a village here in Gujarat suffered severe burn injuries after she was allegedly set on fire by her neighbours. The neighbours were apparently angry with the name of her puppy, the cops were quoted as saying by news agency PTI on Tuesday.
It is learnt that the woman had named her dog “Sonu” which, incidentally, is the nickname of a neighbour’s wife.
The victim, Neetaben Sarvaiya (35), is currently undergoing treatment at a government hospital here, the police added.
The incident happened when Neetaben Sarvaiya’s husband and two children had gone out and she was at home with her youngest son on Monday afternoon. Her neighbour Surabhai Bharwad along with five others barged into her house, according to the police. The neighbours objected to her naming her puppy “Sonu”, the FIR stated.
The police said that Surabhai Bharwad alleged that Sarvaiya purposely named the puppy after his wife.
In her statement to the police, Sarvaiya said that Bharwad abused her but she chose to avoid him and others. When she went into the kitchen, three people followed her. One of them poured kerosene from a container and set her on fire with a matchstick, said the police said.
Soon after the woman raised alarm, some neighbours rushed to her house. At the same time, her husband also arrived. They doused the flames using her husband’s coat.